Energize Your Soils with Compost Tea
What is Compost Tea?
Compost tea is a liquid organic fertilizer and soil amendment made from steeping compost in water. It involves the extraction of beneficial microorganisms, nutrients, and other soluble components from compost, creating a nutrient-rich liquid that can be applied to plants and soil to promote their growth and health.
How’s it made?
Compost tea is made by using biologically active compost, ideally coming from a well-managed composting system with a balanced mix of green and brown organic materials. This compost is placed in a container like a bucket or a specialized compost tea brewer filled with water. Additional ingredients like microbial food or rock dust (for mineral content) is added to enhance the nutrient profile. A continuous supply of oxygen is provided to the mixture during the brewing process, as adequate aeration for 24 hours is essential for the growth and proliferation of beneficial aerobic microorganisms. After brewing, the liquid is strained to remove solid particles and any potential pathogens, and the resulting liquid can then be sprayed on plant leaves or in the soil.
What are the benefits?
- Nutrient Supply: Compost tea provides a wide range of essential nutrients and minerals that are essential for plant growth. These nutrients are in a readily available form, making it easier for plants to absorb them.
- Beneficial Microorganisms: Compost tea is rich in beneficial microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, and protozoa. These microbes enhance soil health and contribute to a balanced soil ecosystem. They can help break down organic matter, improve nutrient cycling, and suppress harmful pathogens.
- Improved Plant Health: The presence of beneficial microorganisms in compost tea can help protect plants from diseases by competing with harmful pathogens or by inducing plant defense mechanisms.
- Enhanced Soil Structure: Regular application of compost tea can improve soil structure, water retention, and aeration, creating a more conducive environment for root growth.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Compost tea is an environmentally friendly alternative to synthetic fertilizers, reducing the risk of chemical runoff and pollution.
- Encourages Beneficial Soil Organisms: By introducing beneficial microorganisms to the soil, compost tea encourages the growth and activity of beneficial soil-dwelling organisms, which contributes to a healthier and more diverse soil ecosystem.
- Enhanced Seed Germination and Root Development: The beneficial microorganisms and nutrients in compost tea can aid in seed germination and support root development, leading to stronger and more resilient plants.
Compost tea is beneficial for all plants, and especially to plants that are showing signs of stress. Growing season is a great time for it to be applied. In cases where quick action is needed, it can be applied into the shoulder season as well. Additionally, compost tea should be used in conjunction with good gardening practices and other soil management techniques for best results.
Get In Touch
To schedule a consultation or request services with our Organic Lawn Care experts please call 303-245-9166, send an email to email@example.com or Get In Touch through our website. One of our Customer Care Representatives will be happy to help.