Become a Designated Sustainable Landscape Community
Be part of the solution
The Sustainable Landscape Community designation is a companion program to Sustainable Landscape Management (SLM) Colorado. This program demonstrates how HOA’s, commercial and retail properties are, or can become, part of the solution by managing and improving their outdoors in a way that aligns with sustainable landscape design and management principles.
What Counts as a Sustainable Landscape? Sustainable landscapes are responsive to the environment, re-generative and can actively contribute to healthy communities. Sustainable landscapes sequester carbon, clean the air and water, increase energy efficiency, reduce the heat island effect, attract pollinators and provide wildlife habitat. Manicured turf areas are not sustainable landscapes, but native/xeric landscapes are.
While SLM provides certificates to individuals, this program provides a designation to commercial sites.
- Companion program to Sustainable Landscape Management Colorado
- Designation for commercial properties maintained using sustainable practices
- Through conservation of resources and water, properties can serve as a model for others in Colorado
- Opportunity to educate consumers on conservation and sustainable principles.
Be part of the solution! The SLC initiative furthers a major tenant of the Colorado Water Plan: active collaboration by different entities to conserve our most precious resource – water. Read more – printable trifold. More information available here.
The program is open to commercial properties (retail sites, HOAs, master planned communities) that are maintained by an ALCC member company with an SLM certificate holder on staff. This program is based on Sustainable Landscape Management: A Guide to More Sustainable Landscapes in Colorado, Urban Landscape SustainabilityTM by Janet Waibel.
Communities can apply for the designation through completion of an application that documents sustainable maintenance practices used on the property. The following information is required for the application process:
- Landscape company handling maintenance of community — must be an ALCC member and participate in the Sustainable Landscape Management program.
- Turf areas on property — type and watering schedule.
- Plants, trees and shrubs on property, indicating native plants.
- Irrigation system detail, including irrigation audit and water budget.
- Drainage and pest management solutions.
- A one-time $1,000 application fee is required. Once the designation has been obtained, a $400 yearly fee is required for maintenance of the designation.
Applications are reviewed by a panel of members who have attained the SLM certificate.
The first Sustainable Landscape Community designation was attained by Centerra Metropolitan District. Centerra is a nearly 2,000 acre master planned community in Loveland and is a mix of retail, residential and commercial office space. Read more about Centerra receiving the Sustainable Landscape Community designation.
Benefits of the SLC Designation
1. Set yourself apart as a green and water savvy community. The SLC designation distinguishes large, water-using communities that employ sustainable landscape maintenance practices.
2. Save dollars as well as water.
3. Boast healthy, vibrant landscapes during dry spells.
4. Educate community members about water savings measures with ALCC-provided materials.
Get In Touch
To schedule a consultation or request services please call 303-245-9166, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Get In Touch through our website. One of our Customer Care Representatives will be happy to help.